Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bad Food Nation!

Honestly reading Fast Food Nation has had its ups and downs for me. I find it weird that sometimes I'll be reading it  and instead of being disgusted I'll start craving some french fries. This only happened in the beginning of the book when the author, Eric Schlosser was talking about the success stories of McDonalds, Carls Jr, etc. As the book progressed I stopped craving and started staying away from fast food places for the majority of the time. As a matter of fact just a couple of days ago I went to dinner at Outback and ordered a steak, it wasn't until my steak got to the table that I started thinking about how cows are slaughtered. I'm not saying I'm turning into a vegetarian anytime soon but I do think twice about eating fast food or just out in general, especially when cow meat is involved.
To me hearing about how mostly all food has "natural flavoring" is what started making me think about what I eat. Reading about how the cows are slaughtered brought it home and grossed me out. Although it is gross I think about it how I think about the movie Supersize Me. I stayed away from McDonalds for about three months after watching that movie, and I will probably stay away from it again after reading this book. Unfortunately once time passes and I stop thinking constantly of how food is processed I will probably run back to the nation's addiction.

4 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing about the french fries. I just can't give up McDonalds fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super-Size Me had that effect on me as well! Thanks for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised, when I read about “natural flavoring” and realizing there is nothing natural about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love french fries. I don't know if I can give them up entirely.

    ReplyDelete