Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Guilty As Charged.

     I will admit that for me reality TV is an extremely guilty pleasure. Ever since I can remember I have been obsessed with reality TV, even when it was obvious that there wasn't much reality to it at all. The first reality show I remember I started watching and fell in love with was The Hills. Although one of my friends always made fun of me for watching it I couldn't stop once I was hooked. After five seasons I knew The Hills was mostly fake and it was a horrible show, but I still could not stop watching it. Sure enough every Tuesday at ten I would make sure I was home to watch the next episode. If I missed any of the episodes I would be online the following morning watching the latest episode.Now The Hills has finally ended and I am thankful for that. If it weren’t over yet I would probably still be obsessed. Unfortunately I have found a new show to replace The hills. This show is Keeping Up With The Kardashians. In this show a family is followed around in their hectic rich lives.


Personally I don’t think reality TV shows harm our society, but I do think they can harm people individually. Reality shows can turn into an escape for people from their own lives. They might even help people realize that their life isn’t as bad as they actually think. It can also make them realize that in life everyone has problems, even the people we believe to be flawless. The way in which I think they can harm people is that these shows can become an obsession in a bad way. Either people stop doing what they’re suppose to do just to be able to watch these shows, or take obsession for the stars of these shows to the next level. The stars themselves might be in danger with stalkers doing anything they can to get close to them. All this arises more problems like courts having to be attended for restraining orders.

Although I have said I don’t believe reality TV harms our society I do believe it affects it. It affects it in the way it can change people and in that it helps our economy. Like everything else on TV reality shows have a purpose to get high views and ratings. The more popular a show is the more money a corporation can make off of it by selling merchandise. Our economy needs any help it can get but are we willing to help it at the cost of people’s safety and their privacy? In my opinion no one is forced to be on a reality TV show, therefore the stars know what they are getting themselves into.

Reality TV also affects my life, not only by taking up my time, but also by cheering me up on a bad day. The main thing that catches my attention so I can get hooked on a reality TV show is comedy. For me comedy is a big part of my life and if there is a funny person on a reality TV show you can bet I’ll watch it.

3 comments:

  1. We all have our guilty pleasures! honestly watching the show isn't as bad as it could be.. you could be living it!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, you ALMOST have me convinced not to feel guilty about watching "The Real Housewives."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody just wants their 15 minutes of fame so there will always be differently personalities for a reality show. However, some people do obssess in an unhealthy way, but thats what corporations want so they can make money.

    ReplyDelete